Monday, October 23, 2006

The Hold Steady



For my second "band du jour" I originally planned some quality Brazilian electronica (no, really... how pretentious am I?), but after the sweet and twee-ness of PBJ yesterday, I didn't want you to get the wrong impression: I do like a bit of rock. And The Hold Steady have a certain beer-soaked, back-room bar vibe to them. But don't let that fool you - they write some of the best lyrics to grace a guitar anthem since the decline of Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine. If anyone mentions the Artic Monkeys I might have to administer a healthy dose of violence. To the groin. Yes, that's right, always follow the simple equation: Artic Monkeys = groin violence.

Anyways, I'm off to see The Hold Steady at the Middle East next Monday (30th October). If anyone wants to come along, you should grab tickets soon - these guys are gaining quite a reputation for their live show. And after your Nth PBR, remember the Monday night mantra: How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't even dance?

No comments: