Monday, November 06, 2006

Darren Hanlon

No videos today, just mp3's. As a quick side note, these mp3's are links to other sites, which often have quota limits. So if they appear down, just try again later.

Today's artist is Darren Hanlon, who I decided to give a spin solely due to him having the same surname as a mate of mine (who is completely devoid of musical talent). I figured some kind of universal conservation law would mean Darren Hanlon is great - and he is! I don't know if the Hanlons are related, but as one is a Welsh/Irish mutt, and the other is Australian (and therefore may have links to British criminals somewhere in the family tree. Was that softly worded enough?), I'd say chances are high.

As for the music, he's being referred to as the Australian Colin Meloy (of The Decemberists), so I'm predestined to like him. Personally, I'd say he's closer to The Lucksmiths, as he's far more whimsical than everybody's favourite peddlers of anachronistic shanties (totally check out my pseudo-muso-babble!). I was slightly disappointed to learn that (There aren't enough songs about) squash is an ode to the sport rather than the orange-flavoured cordial, though still inclined to sing along.

Darren Hanlon - Punk's not dead (mp3)

Darren Hanlon - (There's not enough songs about) squash (mp3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm English too, not just Welsh and Irish.

The other Hanlon.

mogwins said...

Yes. I apologise for undersestimating the degree to which you're a mongrel. I, of course, am thorough-bred Welsh.