Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Upper Crust



Oh yes! I've been looking for a decent video clip of these boys for a while now, as I wanted you all to bathe in the insanity of The Upper Crust, as I did a few weeks ago at The Middle East. It's been a long hunt, but I finally found a watchable clip - only problem is, it's Windows Media Player, so all you FireFox/Opera devotees are probably gonna have to fire up Internet Explorer for this one. It's painful, I know, but worth it. Trust me (I am a doctor...).

This is the video for Rabble Rouser, take from the album Once more into the breeches. Yes, The Upper Crust are a novelty act: at live gigs they wear full 17th century nobility gear and maintain a suitable aloofness, while continually blasting AC-DC riffs into the ears of the surrounding "peasantry". You might think their Jane-Austin-meets-Malcolm-Young shtick would get old quick, but while the songs may be generic, they're just ridiculous enough to hold your attention for a full set*. And I have to say I never tired of the between-song banter**, particularly between the Jagger-mouthed lead singer and Lord Basey (I guess I don't need to tell you which instrument he plays?). 'Roque and Roll!

* Disclaimer: I'd had a few beers.
** I was really quite inebriated.

No comments: